Illustration project - "Kawaii (かわいい) Culture"


These illustrations are about "Kawaii Culture". Kawaii mean cuteness, this is a Japanese culture emerged in the 1970s as part of a new style of writing. Some people would write in big, round characters and they added little pictures to their writing, such as hearts, stars, smiley faces, and English letters.
During 1980s, this cute new writing was adopted by magazines and comics and was put onto packaging and advertising. Later, cute handwriting became associated with acting childish and using infantile slang words. Because of this growing trend, companies, such as Sanrio, came out with cartoon characters like Hello Kitty. Hello Kitty was an immediate success and the obsession with cute continued to progress in other areas as well.
In the 1980s kawaii gained enormous popularity, dominating Japanese pop culture throughout the decade. Many young people felt that adulthood was too harsh and strict, requiring too much responsibility; they viewed it as a loss of freedom.

My concept about these artworks is "If the Kawaii Culture influence in the city which I live at, how it would be looked like?"
The materials I used for are acrylic painted on jean. This is the first time I draw picture on jean, very special experiment.
p/s: the information about "kawaii culture" copy from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawaii, you could find more information about "kawaii culture" at here too.

2 comments :

  1. Hi Phoebe,
    Thanks for visiting my Blog you're special and I like you a lot, you know "Hey, you are my friend".

    The text you just published is great and extremely interesting, not to mention your wonderful work as always.
    YOU'RE AN ARTIST...AND A GOOD ONE.

    Hugs
    Fernanda

    PS. I love this music... don't think I know the author, can you MSM me the link. As a matter a fact I don't know how you do this, I mean, one enters your Blog and is blessed with this lovely music, can you tell me how you do that???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Phoebe,
    I have a son who is an artist both at drawing and painting, whose name is Miguel. He lives in Rio de Janeiro and would be delighted to see these works of yours. I am going to tell him, when we contact each other. I love this kind of acrylic painting on jeans. I had a wonderful file, lined in hand-painted jeans, which everybody loved. They loved it so much that, one day, I felt the moral duty to offer it to a very good friend of mine.
    Nice painting, Phoebe. Congratulations.
    Maria Letra

    ReplyDelete

 

Flickr Photostream

www.flickr.com

Meet The Author

My photo
Just follow my dream ^^